Friday, March 12, 2010

Question for the weekend (by Suzie)



Do you ever edit Wikipedia? It could use more feminist editors.

For example: Sam Tanenhaus' article, dissected in my post earlier today, mentions Aileen Wuornos. It still rankles me that so little is said about Richard Mallory, the first man she killed, who had been incarcerated as a sex offender. I just added an extra sentence to Wikipedia about his "strong sociopathic trends."

When his past came to light, I read details from the earlier case, if I remember correctly. It looks like he was tried in 1957 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Perhaps someone who's better at research can find the records so that we can make this more widely available to the public.

If Wuornos was telling the truth, she would be the only serial killer with whom I'm familiar, who first killed in self-defense, whose first "victim" had brutalized her. I know a jury didn't believe her, but they didn't get to hear evidence of Mallory's past.

I know, too, that this is old history, but women's history matters.