Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sunday Art Blogging (by res ipsa loquitur)

Gian Lorenzo Bernini, 1621-22
Pluto and Proserpina (detail)
white marble

Simon Schama - "Power of Art: Bernini" - Part One

Update: After reading your comments, I decided to delete the image of the Bernini sculpture. I understand and am sympathetic to -- the feminist critique of this piece -- I also find it an incredibly beautiful sculpture. That said, one point the discussion has brought home to me ex post facto was that the image may offend feminists who view Echidne's blog as a sort of "safe space". Your comments lead me to believe that some of you do, and in light of that, I thought it better to delete the image. For those who would like to view it -- the detail is here -- and a full view is here at the Borghese Gallery site.