Friday, February 16, 2007

The Anti-Contraception Chocolate Bars



I'm on the e-mail list of the anti-contraception people, for some reason, and today they sent me something that got smoke streaming out of my ears and fire flaring out of my nose. The e-mail is about a counter-campaign for the campaign which hands out condoms and Hershey's kisses near Valentine's Day on college campuses, to spread information on contraception. Well, the counter-campaign spreads information about anti-contraception. Like this:

The theme of the chocolate bar give-away was "Without Contraception, you get so much more", an analogy pertaining to the tiny Hershey's Kisses that the "Condom and a Kiss" campaign hands out with condoms, compared to full sized Hershey's bars. Inside the candy wrapper it read, "It makes sense that condoms are handed out today with nothing more than a tiny chocolate kiss. This reflects how little love you can express while using one. Using contraception tells your lover, 'I don't want to share every part of myself with you.'"

"I don't want to share every part of myself with you." Ok, anti-contraceptionists, hand me your lungs and liver and your eyeballs. I'm hungry.

This is a very feminist topic, by the way. Not just because of the disgusting use of my divine food, chocolate, but because what women are asked to share is so much more than what men are asked to share. Not at all even-Steven, these anti-contraceptionists.