Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Pandagon...



You may already have read the page that comes up if you want to read Pandagon. It starts like this:

Whenever the site is up, we get slammed and it goes down. I have to suspend the site until the fervor dies down. At this point, I think it might be a few hours before the Lookie Lous give up refreshing the site. In the meantime, here's the latest post I wrote about all the "Christians" who have written me in the past week:

Update: To correct misinformation in the comments, I was not "fired". I offered my resignation and it was accepted.

Then Amanda gives the very religious wingnuts a little Bible lesson, including that "let the one who is sinless cast the first stone" bit. The lessons of Jesus are very different from the common forms of radical fundamentalist Christianism which takes almost everything from the Old Testament. Bill Donohue might secretly think that the Bible could be greatly improved by just cutting out all the stuff Jesus said or did, though naturally not the stuff that was done to him...

Anyway, the reason for those musings has to do with the sample of e-mails Amanda also posts for our education. They are the sort that most feminist bloggers will get from time to time, though intensifed from the usual level of hatred. Here is a good example.

Problem with women like you, you just need a good fucking from a real man! Living in Texas myself, I know you haven't found that real Texan yet. But once your liberal pro feminist ass gets a real good fucking, you might see the light. Until then, enjoy your battery operated toys b/c most real men wouldn't want to give you the fucking you deserve b/c the shit that would come out of you ears.

I get told fairly often that my problem is inadequate sex and that this inadequacy is caused by my ugliness/fatness/hairiness. The real reason is of course the snake tail. Would you like to fuck someone who has cold scales for a butt? But I digress.

What I wanted to say that a very common cure for feminism seems to be to get fucked. As if the world isn't fucking women in a lot of places already. And rather nastily, too. Remember the girls at school in Afghanistan? Well, it's still about the worst place in the whole world to be a woman, though Iraq is going down pretty rapidly, too.

But perhaps I shouldn't say "fucked". Such an unladylike word to say! Women can't say it but they can get "fucked". A lot.

Amanda points out that these nasty e-mails she gets are attacking her as a woman, as an uppity woman, a woman who isn't totally calmed down by a little vigorous sexual activity. A woman with a foul mouth:

i like the way you trash talk i don't particularly want to have sex with you but i would like a blow job

Blow jobs do something to certain types of men. Humiliating others appears to be what they need to feel good about themselves. What these posts share is the idea of sex as a weapon. Sword?

This goes all over the place, and I apologize for it. My general thoughts on this topic are questions about whether responding to nutters directly is the best strategy or not, whether ignoring them might not work better. And then I think how silence never gave anyone power. Or as Donald Rumsfeld might say, we don't go to a fight with the enemies we'd like to have, we go to a fight with the enemies we have.