Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Did I Ever Tell You This Story?






When I first got Henrietta the Hound, my now-angel dog, she was mentally pretty broken, what with having been abused and so on. She had very little self-confidence, despite her utter speed, beauty, wrestling skills and ability to dominate all other dogs (though most of them I only learned later).

Instead, she behaved like a Lady Dog, heeling perfectly, sitting perfectly, staying perfectly, with a robot-like competency in everything and matte eyes. For the first three months I thought she belonged to some breed which kept its tail between the legs all the time. Little did I know what was to come...

Anyway, the story is about the time when I started thinking that more desperate measures had to be taken to bring her back to some kind of normality.

I went running with her in the local park which is a large area with a jogging path, lots of trees and not so many people. As we were running along and all alone (though connected by a leash, naturally), I started singing to her: "Let's turn a switch! You are no lady! You are a frightening, frightening bitch!"

After a while I was bellowing: "We are two frightening bitches! Frightening bitches!"

Then I turned a bend in the path and came face-to-face with a group of rather stunned-looking joggers.