Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Try This One



I got my thoughts into that downward spiral after reading Joe Klein's comment on John McCain's campaign strategies. This one:

John McCain said this today in Rochester, New Hampshire:

This is a clear choice that the American people have. I had the courage and the judgment to say I would rather lose a political campaign than lose a war. It seems to me that Obama would rather lose a war in order to win a political campaign.

Klein didn't like that statement at all, because it attributes quite nasty motives to Obama and replays that idea of McCain as The Last Honest Man, I guess.

Now try to understand what McCain is saying. It's fun. First, he'd rather lose a political campaign than a war and Obama would rather lose a war than a political campaign. OK. But do you see what's so wonderfully weird about that? If McCain decides to lose the political campaign in order to win the war, who's gonna be the president, eh?

Right! Obama. And he will then lose the war, according to McCain. So McCain's noble promise to step aside makes no difference. Which means that he's every bit as campaign-focused as Obama.

None of that makes any sense, but I enjoyed it. That's the reason I remain a minor political blogger goddess.