Friday, September 07, 2012

President Obama Speaks, Echidne Listens


The last speech of the Democratic National Convention was by Barack Obama.  Opinions on the speech vary, as they say, but it wasn't one of the best from this gifted orator.

Did it serve its intended purpose?

That depends on what the purpose is assumed to be.   I think his speech was aimed at the so-called undecided voters, not at the choir, but others disagree.  If I'm correct then the speech may have worked.  If it was intended to the base it sorta limped along.  But feel free to disagree.

Hmm.  Convention fatigue seems to have stepped into  my posts about the speeches.  The DNC beat the RNC in enthusiasm and in oratorial skills.  That was added for those of you who like bloggers to be style judges.


--------

And for all my non-American readers:  You and I, my friends, live in the bottom mud of this world.  This is because of American Exceptionalism.

The Republicans are big on American Exceptionalism,  humongous, in fact.  But even the Democrats must mention it every few seconds lest they be equated with the cheese-eating surrender monkeys (the French).  Here's the president on the topic of American Greatness:

We can choose a future where we export more products and outsource fewer jobs. After a decade that was defined by what we bought and borrowed, we’re getting back to basics, and doing what America has always done best:
We’re making things again.
(APPLAUSE)
I’ve met workers in Detroit and Toledo who feared they’d never build another American car. And today, they can’t build them fast enough, because we reinvented a dying auto industry that’s back on top of the world.
(APPLAUSE) I’ve worked with business leaders who are bringing jobs back to America, not because our workers make less pay, but because we make better products. Because we work harder and smarter than anyone else.

So I don't work hard and smart.  OK, better shuffle dejectedly into that dark crevice in the ground to hide my shame and sloth.

I get the point of all the rah-rah-we're-the-greatest.  It's akin to children buying their mom or dad a t-shirt which says "The World's Best Mom/Dad."  It's not meant for the consumption of outsiders.

Still, it wore me down a bit.