Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Being Savaged



Michael Savage is one of those calm and balanced wingnut voices in this country. Not all angry and foul-mouthed like us lefty bloggers. He doesn't get analyzed and dissected on the front page of the Washington Post, even when he says something like this:

The leftists love it, too. Their time is coming as well. There will be a purge in this country of the vermin within as sure as I am sitting here. I'm not going to conduct it. After all, I am not a liberal. I don't conduct purges. Only liberals conduct purges. I'm not going to do it. I'm merely a talk-show host. Period. The day will come, the American people will rise up. There will be a reckoning of what the wreckage -- of who caused the wreckage in this nation. As sure as I'm sitting here, just as [Venezuelan President Hugo] Chavez had a good time at the U.N. And he will pay for it. Just as the mad jihadist had a good time at the U.N., and his people unfortunately will pay for it. The American left, who has caused so much damage in this country -- undermining God, undermining country, undermining the undermining the police, undermining the military -- they will pay for it as sure as I'm sitting here. I'm positive. I don't know how, I don't know when, I don't know where.

Do you notice that it is polite to call the left vermin? I guess it's not any worse than rabid lambs, and I guess that it's all right to predict a purge of us even if Savage will not dirty his own hands with it. Where is David Brooks's column on this atrocious language? Where is the condemnation of those who are making the country more polarized?

It is in vain I rant and rave on this. Or this:

On the September 21 edition of his nationally syndicated talk show, Michael Savage claimed that the "average prostitute" is "more reliable and more honest than most U.S. senators wearing a dress." As Media Matters for America documented, Savage recently stated that the U.S. Senate "is more vicious and more histrionic ... specifically because women have been injected into [it]." Additionally, while discussing the debate over the coercive interrogation technique known as "waterboarding," Savage declared: "If it was up to me, I would drown them anyway. I'd get the information, then drown them."

Imagine the number of protests we'd hear if Savage had said something as derogatory about the black members of the Senate.