Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Bumper Stickers



Bumper stickers are one of the greatest gifts the United States has ever given the world, and this thread on Kos has many examples of really horrible and really good bumber stickers. I love to read about them, especially as a counterweight to all the horrors out there, and I have wanted for a long time to collect the best and worst bumper sticker messages together in a best-selling book that will make me rich and happy. But I never remember what the messages are for more than a minute or two, just as I can never remember jokes (except for the small number of hostile jokes that I have memorized to use when someone offends me with sexist jokes).

So I have to get my fame and money elsewhere. But reading about bumper stickers is still fun. They may not be the safest thing, trafficwise, to put on your car, especially if they make the reader very angry, and you might get your tires slashed, too. But it's still fun to see how clever a very short sentence can be.

The only bumper sticker I ever had on my car (on a beautiful, ancient Cadillac with a rally-driver's clutch; how I still miss him, my Cad!) said "I Know Karate and Ten Other Chinese Words". I thought it was very funny.