Saturday, November 20, 2004

Why Bush Likes Sex-Segregated Education



I found a website of Dubya Incidents. Among the many silly stories was one that is a little bit more sinister than silly. It concerns a 1994 meeting between Lynn Novick, a co-producer of Ken Burns' PBS series "Baseball" and George Bush who was then in baseball. Novick knew that Bush had graduated from Yale and mentioned that she herself was also a Yale graduate, to create some bonding.

This is a big mistake with the he-men, of course. They don't bond with women:


"When did you graduate?" Bush asked her, as she recalls. She told him. That's
when Bush told her that Yale "went downhill since they admitted women."

"I said, 'Excuse me?'" Novick says. "I thought the was kidding. But he didn't seem to be kidding. I said, 'What do you mean?'"

Bush replied that "something had been lost" when women were fully admitted to Yale in 1969, that fraternities were big when he'd been threre, providing a "great camaraderie for the men." But that went out of the window when women were allowed in, Bush said.

"He said something like, 'Women changed the social dynamic for the worse,'" she says. "I was so stunned, shocked and insulted. I didn't know what to say."


All is clear now! Bush fears that women will mess up men's camaraderie! That's why he's supporting sex-segregation in education. Silly me, I thought it was something the fundamentalists had schemed.